Bonus chatter: AMP pages and code snippet hyperlinks…

Here’s a quick memory jogger for me: If you try to validate the AMP versions of blog pages, you may get this error from Google: Invalid URL for HTML attribute 'href' in tag 'a'. What does it actually mean? Continue reading

Advertisements

Now is the time to seriously consider your Content Security Policy

News stories about hacking and malware are depressingly common these days. Here in the UK I think we’ve not really dealt with all the fall-out from last May when parts of our health service (along with many other businesses) were hit by the “Wannacry” ransomware worm. Yet another security incident happened the other day which will get less press coverage (since it’s nowhere near as dramatic) but has bigger implications for us as web develelopers… Continue reading

Graphing activity with a Raspberry Pi

I’ve had a Raspberry Pi sitting under my desk for some time now, but things keep getting in the way of me doing much with it. But in honour of the whole “March is for Makers” thing, I decided I needed to finally do something more than boot it up and let my son tinker with Scratch on it. I’d also acquired a “Sense Hat” add-on recently, and something about the matrix display on that made me think of animated graphs. Now that the Windows 10 IoT build is gaining features, I thought I’d try installing that and building something that would let me graph website activity – with a view to how it might get connected to Sitecore… Continue reading

A drink from the Gulp firehose

Having spent a bit of time recently looking at some of the new stuff included in the tools and frameworks for ASP.Net Core 1.0 and Sitecore’s Habitat solution, one of the things that caught my eye is the Gulp task runner. So after a few days of poking around, here’s a basic introduction for anyone else considering it for their Sitecore work. Continue reading

Thinking about the future of your markup

My work sometimes involves picking up projects that were started by other developers / agencies and making changes or enhancements. Sometimes the approaches used by the original developers can make these enhancements harder than they need to be. The HTML, CSS and Javascript of a recent project I worked on caused some issues that I thought were worth calling out to try and help developers do better work in the future. Continue reading

Updating faceted search with client-side code

A while back I wrote up the faceted search example I’d presented at the London Sitecore User Group, and commented that ASP.Net WebForms wasn’t really great technology for providing that sort of UI. I noted that it would work better if it could be implemented using Ajax-style UI.

Having finally had a chance to work out a basic pattern for building JSON web services using the sort of technology that’s easily available in basic Sitecore 6.6 websites last week, I’ve now had a chance to get around to implementing a prototype of how the faceted search might be built with client-side processing. Continue reading