I am no DBA. In fact I’m happy to admit that I know just enough SQL to be dangerous. So when database problems come up, they can be tricky. I recently helped a client work through an issue with analytics databases, which wasn’t easy to google – so it’s time to help future developers find it… Continue reading
Following on from my recent post about how I was able to mess up my life by getting Marketing Automation connection strings wrong, I hit another interesting issue with MA – this time around content languages… Continue reading
I had another of my fun chats with Sitecore Support recently, for an issue that seemed to get no useful results in Google when I looked. So, as is my way, I’m filling that search-engine void today. This turned out to be entirely my fault – but it seems like the sort of mistake that others might encounter too… So if you’ve deployed a distributed instance of Sitecore and found Marketing Automation was behaving oddly, read on… Continue reading
Edited to add: Sitecore have updated their documentation to reduce the confusion here. Thank you Martina & co!
I’m working on my first proper Sitecore 9 project at the moment, and got bitten by an annoying bit of confusion while doing some configuration work. If you’re tweaking how xConnect works take note, and hopefully you can avoid making the same mistake I did… Continue reading
Recently I wrote about an issue I encountered where a client’s website was missing its GeoIP data (and the related back-end analytics data) entirely. While the changes discussed in that post solved the problem of there being no MongoDB data for GeoIP lookups at all, I continued to see odd issues with many users not being located after those fixes were made. Sorting this out seems to suggest that some of the “common wisdom” about configuring GeoIP for analytics isn’t right – so here are my latest findings: Continue reading
Updated: There is a follow-up to this post, which points out some extra issues with the way GeoIP configuration is currently documented for v8-era Sitecore setups that change the “
Analytics.PerformLookup” setting below. If this setting is of interested to you, please read that too!
I spent some time this week looking at a client site whose analytics data was missing GeoIP information. Since they had a valid license for Sitecore’s GeoIP lookup service, this was a bit confusing. So, continuing my battle to write up all the unexpected scenarios… Continue reading