xConnect config files can be confusing

I’m working on my first proper Sitecore 9 project at the moment, and got bitten by an annoying bit of confusion while doing some configuration work. If you’re tweaking how xConnect works take note, and hopefully you can avoid making the same mistake I did… Continue reading

Advertisements

Why am I still missing some GeoIP data?

Recently I wrote about an issue I encountered where a client’s website was missing its GeoIP data (and the related back-end analytics data) entirely. While the changes discussed in that post solved the problem of there being no MongoDB data for GeoIP lookups at all, I continued to see odd issues with many users not being located after those fixes were made. Sorting this out seems to suggest that some of the “common wisdom” about configuring GeoIP for analytics isn’t right – so here are my latest findings: Continue reading

Why am I missing my GeoIP data?

Updated: There is a follow-up to this post, which points out some extra issues with the way GeoIP configuration is currently documented for v8-era Sitecore setups that change the “Analytics.PerformLookup” setting below. If this setting is of interested to you, please read that too!


I spent some time this week looking at a client site whose analytics data was missing GeoIP information. Since they had a valid license for Sitecore’s GeoIP lookup service, this was a bit confusing. So, continuing my battle to write up all the unexpected scenarios… Continue reading

Shooting yourself in the foot with a config patch – redux

Sitecore’s config patch files are great. But sadly it’s entirely possible to cause yourself headaches with them. I’ve written before about how it’s possible that small typos can cause big issues. In that style, a colleage brought an issue to me recently which was an interesting new variation on this fun… Continue reading

A hack for role-based config in v8 deployments

It’s a pretty common requirement that deploying instances of Sitecore will require slightly different configuration on different servers. Different roles, like content management and content deployment, will require different settings and features to work. So it’s not surprising that there are a variety of approaches to how you manage this configuration in your projects.

In the past I’ve often made use of separate config files, where you have a file for “config changes needed on all servers” and then further files for “config changes needed for CM servers”, and even down to the level of “config changes needed on server CD01” if necessary. This works fine if your deployment process understands which files should go on which servers.

Recently, however, Sitecore have started to offer a “role based configuration” approach in the configuration of v9 – so you can deploy a single config file and the server can pick and choose sections of its configuration based on what role it is performing. But back in the real world, most of us are still supporting V8 (and older) sites, so is it possible for them to adopt something similar to this idea? Here’s one approach that achieves something similar: Continue reading

If you have to use Ninject with Solr…

My first time having to configure Solr for Sitecore recently taught me a variety of new things. (I know – how have I managed to avoid it this long?) Most of the basics of the setup have been well documented elsewhere, so I won’t repeat any of that. However setting up the site to use the Ninject DI container wasn’t as smooth as the documentation suggested, so here are some notes on the issues I hit in case you find yourself stuck: Continue reading

The curious case of what happened to my Indexing Manager

I’ve spent the last week or so working on the config changes necessary to migrate a client site running Sitecore v8.1 from using Lucene to Solr for its search infrastructure. I’ve not worked much with Solr before, so this has been a good opportunity for me to learn about how it works and how it gets configured. But when I deployed my changes from my local development environment to a central testing server I discovered some odd behavior which Google didn’t help with. So, for the good of search indexes everywhere, here’s what happened… Continue reading