I’ve been using VS2019 for all my personal development work pretty much since the first preview came out. For general coding and debugging it’s been good so far – stable, and effective. And little things like git stash control from the UI make me happy… It got its full release recently, just before I spoke at SUGCON 2019 – where I said I’d blog something about how 2019 changed the performance measurement stuff that I was presenting. Having done some tests in the last few days, it’s not looking so shiny any more… Continue reading
Recently a colleague of mine told me about a suggestion they’d been given about setting up an instance of Sitecore. They were told that you should put your license file into a subfolder of your data directory because the license check enumerates files and folders in the directory containing the file. So if the folder contained other things, this would slow down the check. This sounded odd to me as you have to specify the exact path of the license in your config, so I thought I’d do some investigating, and see if I could prove or disprove the suggestion.
So, putting on my best beret at a jaunty “for science!” angle, here’s what I discovered: Continue reading
I find myself doing quite a lot of work on performance for Sitecore websites at the moment. Whenever I do a similar job for a group of clients, I start to spot patterns in the sites I’m working on – and it struck me that there are some common performance issues that can be spotted just from the overview graphs you see when you collect trace data.
So to try and help you all improve the sites you ship, here are three that I’ve come across in a few projects recently: Continue reading
For anyone who wasn’t there (and those who were but, want to refer back to what I said) here’s a summary of the important bits of content from that talk…