Broken Unicorn synchronisation

Ever had a tool that works reliably suddenly not work? I had a problem like that recently, and it lead to some experimentation that I think I may need to come back to later. So this is mostly so I can remember what I was doing when I get back to this. But as we move toward a more “platform agnostic” with more use of .Net Core on Linux, maybe there’s something here that might help you too… Continue reading

Security fun with Azure Kubernetes Service

I’ve been working on a deployment of Sitecore using containers recently, and hit a scenario which isn’t discussed much in the Microsoft documentation: How do you go about setting it all up if you can’t use Active Directory accounts across your DevOps and Azure instances? Having done some digging, here’s what I’ve learned so far: Continue reading

Please don’t put Sitecore in Source control

If you’re looking for the simplest possible developer setup for Sitecore then creating an ASP.Net web project, dropping Sitecore over the top, configuring it for shared databases and checking it in to source control is the answer. Back in the day it was an accepted pattern to to work this way – so you could click “play” in Visual Studio to run your site. And I still find myself workig on projects running that way. But today this is considered a bad idea. So why do I keep finding projects set up this way, and why isn’t it a good approach? Continue reading

I think I found my reason not to use VS2019 for everything..

I’ve been using VS2019 for all my personal development work pretty much since the first preview came out. For general coding and debugging it’s been good so far – stable, and effective. And little things like git stash control from the UI make me happy… It got its full release recently, just before I spoke at SUGCON 2019 – where I said I’d blog something about how 2019 changed the performance measurement stuff that I was presenting. Having done some tests in the last few days, it’s not looking so shiny any more… Continue reading

Memory deltas in Visual Studio debugging

Working on a couple of personal projects recently, I’ve been reminded again how helpful I find the profiling tools that Visual Studio’s debugger gives you. As you may have guessed from some of my previous posts, every so often I get to worry about the performance of .Net code at work – but it’s useful for any sort of project, not just Sitecore. And investigating some issues in my own code, memory snapshots and deltas helped me out again. So maybe they could help you too? Continue reading

Measure if you want to go faster!

I got the chance to speak at the Manchester Sitecore user group recently, introducing some tools and tricks that can be used to measure site performance while you’re developing your Sitecore code.

For anyone who wasn’t there (and those who were but, want to refer back to what I said) here’s a summary of the important bits of content from that talk…
Continue reading

(Re)Discovering Visual Studio Snippets

I’ve been using the built-in code snippets in Visual Studio for years, but for some reason until last week it had never crossed my mind to work out how to create my own. After getting bored writing the same chunk of code too often, I was reminded of the old saying “You should automate any task you have to do more than once”. So I decided to have a go at some snippets. Turns out it’s both a useful trick to know, and not hard to do: Continue reading

The brave new world of Azure PaaS

With the release of Sitecore 8.2 Update 1 last week, we finally have support for running our Sitecore solutions as Azure Web App Services without the need for the Sitecore Azure Module. As someone who had never tried a PaaS deployment with the old module, this brings a load of interesting benefits, but also has a few challenges to get your head around. I’ve spent a bit of time experimenting, and discovered a few things that you might want to read up on before you dive in.
[Now updated with a couple of extra links in the text below – And Sitecore’s official documentation is appearing too!]
Continue reading

Banging my head against Git, Visual Studio 15 and SSL

Recently the hard drive in my trusty old laptop failed. Annoying, but ultimately it was just an excuse to go shopping, ignore most of my backup of the old machine and re-install all my programs from scratch. As part of that I decided that I’d try experimenting with the latest pre-release version of Visual Studio 15, to see if it was stable enough for me to use for my personal projects and blog coding now.

So having worked out how you re-install a “free upgrade from Win7” copy of Windows 10 and gone through through Visual Studio’s new installer, I tried to clone some code from my private git server. Having been greeted with some cryptic errors, I’ve spent some time working out how to resolve the issue. So as ever, I’m writing it all down in case it’s of help to others… Continue reading